Books that Influenced my Life part 1
Someone asked what are ten books that most influenced your life? Here's my first five. Second five 10-17-14.
1. The Bible: Used RSV 3rd grade Bible mostly in college & Oxford version in seminary. Good News for Modern Man in High School. For most of my pastoral ministry I have used an NIV. With the Bible I would include Strong's Exhaustive Concordance and Barclay's Commentaries on the New Testament.
2. The Mad Scientist's Club About a group of neighborhood kids that form a club and do creative and elaborate but harmless pranks on their town, like creating a Lock Ness-style monster on a motor-boat.
3. The Thinking Machine About a man who uses his mind to solve mysteries. Kind of like Sherlock Holmes. Later I would identify most with Spock on Star Trek because I wasn't usually the leader of a group but often the next in command-right-hand-man and appreciated his logic skills.
4. The Hobbit J.R.R. TolkienI read this in high school and it was my first introduction to fairy tale/fantasy literature on an adult level. It was an invitation to use my imagination in a new way. Interestingly, I was listening to my sister's Rod Stewart album while I read and associate his "Maggie" song with this book.
5. Foundation Series by Derek Prince This series of booklets was instrumental in my spiritual growth after I had recommitted my life to Christ at about 19 and had received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.
Posted on Mon, October 13, 2014
by First United Methodist Church